Narryna - the merchant's house

Narryna is a fine 1830s merchant's town house that evokes the business and maritime histories of Salamanca Place and Battery Point. The house was built by Captain Andrew Haig in 1837-40 on land he purchased in 1824 during a trading voyage between Calcutta, Canton and Valparaiso. Haig built warehouses facing Salamanca Place in 1834 and set up as a merchant and shipbuilder while also operating goods and passenger services to mainland ports. He was forced to sell up in 1842, during Australia's first economic depression . Narryna was later home to businessmen and women, lawyers, politicians and bankers. In 1957 a group of Hobart and Battery Point residents opened Narryna as a museum with a rich collection of Tasmanian fine, decorative arts and costume. Ask about our group booking rate and joint ticket with Markree House and Garden, located 200 metres from Narryna and offering insights into Hobart life of the 1920s.

Info

Suburb: Battery Point

City: Hobart

Email: narryna@tmag.tas.gov.au

Phone: 6234 2791

Url: www.narryna.com.au

Facilities

Conference/Convention Facilities

Family Friendly

Picnic Area

Public Toilet

TOP